About InLinkUK from BT
InLinkUK from BT brings digital innovation, free gigabit Wi-Fi and other premium services to the
streets of London and cities across the United Kingdom.
- Free ultrafast Wi-Fi with speeds of up to 1 Gbps
- Free UK landline and mobile calls
- Free mobile device charging
- Free access to maps, directions and local and emergency services
- Two 139.7cm HD displays for digital advertising, public service announcements and local content
In 2015, BT requested a proposal from a partner to take over advertising for their payphone
franchise starting in 2017. The franchise was secured by leading UK outdoor advertising
company Primesight and urban innovation company Intersection who joined forces to create
InLinkUK. As part of the agreement with BT, Primesight will also sell advertising on nearly
17,500 BT payphone kiosks across the UK.
Launching in London, the project will extend to cities across the UK. At least 750 InLinks will be
installed over the next few years.
Hundreds of BT's existing phone boxes will be replaced with the new InLinks to reduce clutter
on the street. The traditional red phone boxes, many of which are designated grade II listed
buildings, will not be replaced.
InLinkUK connects the fastest available internet service to the fastest commercially available
Wi-Fi equipment and opens all that bandwidth for people to use -- no data caps or time-outs.
- Each InLink can support hundreds of Wi-Fi users simultaneously.
- Antenna Design is responsible for the sleek, ultramodern physical design of the InLink.
At 27cm wide and 89cm long, the footprint of each InLink is much smaller than existing phone
boxes on UK pavements today.
Each InLink is built to withstand extreme heat and cold, rain, snow and flooding, earthquakes,
vandalism and theft –- all while conforming to safety standards.
The touchscreen tablet runs on a secure Android operating system. Through the tablet, people
can access local services and get maps and directions.
- Additional apps and services will be rolled out on an ongoing basis over the next several years.
Services come at no cost to users or taxpayers as they will be funded by advertising revenues
generated by the InLinks' digital displays.
Digital Press Pack
For more information and images, please view our online